LANDFILL GAS RISK ASSESSMENT FOR WASTE MANAGEMENT FACILITY
EnviroScience Solutions was commissioned to undertake a landfill gas risk assessment for a waste management centre in the Hunter Region of New South Wales.
Mark of EnviroScience said, “we were engaged due to our long-standing knowledge of the site and experience gained in the assessment of many privately and publicly operated landfills in NSW.”
EnviroScience Solutions was engaged to update the Landfill Gas Assessment for a Waste Management Centre in the Hunter Region. Specifically, EnviroScience was commissioned to review the source of landfill gas in a particular part of the site, identify any corrective actions or remedial work that was necessary, and provide recommendations on any ongoing landfill gas monitoring required at the site.
In order to complete the work, EnviroScience conducted:
- a review of the previous landfill gas concentrations and flows from the existing landfill gas monitoring network;
- review of recent Summa canister analytical data from specific landfill gas monitoring wells;
- review of meteorological data to understand the impact of barometric pressure and rainfall influences on landfill gas concentrations and flows;
- review of site operations and how these might influence the landfill gas regime;
- review of the current landfill gas extraction system and electricity generation/flaring in the closed landfill cells;
- assessment of surface gas concentrations in specific portions of the site; and
- an assessment of the vegetation changes in areas where elevated landfill gas concentrations had been detected.
EnviroScience also prepared a Landfill Gas Trigger Action Plan, which was submitted to the NSW EPA for approval.
Delivery of this project demonstrates the expertise of EnviroScience Solutions to deliver a thorough review of landfill gas concentrations and flows, by accessing multiple sources of data to assess landfill gas concentrations and any potential impact on surrounding vegetation. This was then fed into a Landfill Gas Trigger Action Plan to ensure ongoing monitoring and compliance.